Herbal versuscosmetic products, there is really no competition. From cleanser, toner to moisturiser, we would rather use herbs for our skin care.
And why shouldn't we, it is skin-safe, involves no toxins, and it shows results far better than any cosmetic products we can get our hands on.
This got us thinking! Why not grow these herbs for skin care at home, instead of dashing off to grocery stores every time we ran out?
And we know, in this congested city, where space is non-existent, growing your own garden can seem like an impossible dream.
However, the easy herbs that we are going to discuss for our beauty garden are tiny enough to be grown in our window sill or balcony.
And from dry skin, acne, wrinkles to pigmentation, these herbs are all that you are going to need to care for your skin.
So, without further ado, here are 7 herbs that you can grow in your beauty garden.
Note:The growth and sustenance of these herbs for skin care, though easy to maintain, also depends on the environmental factors.
A must have plant in your beauty garden is aloe vera. Being a powerhouse of aloesin and antioxidants, aloe vera soothes inflammation, cleanses the skin of impurities, shrinks pores and promotes skin regeneration.
Aloe Vera Mask
• Cut open an aloe vera leaf, and scoop out the gel.
• Add a teaspoon of honey, mix until the ingredients combine well.
• Apply it on to your face, let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse it clean.
Anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antioxidants of calendula can soothe inflammation, heal burns and remove sun tan. One of the best herbs for your skin care is calendula.
Calendula Body Scrub
1 tablespoon of coarsely powdered rice
1 teaspoon of dried calendula leaves powder
10 drops of essential oil of your choice
• Take a bowl, mix all the ingredients together, using water or milk, make a thick paste.
• Apply it all over your body.
• Wait for 30 minutes till it dries.
• Spritz your body with water, once the scrub loosens, scrub it in a circular motion, rinse and pat dry.
Invigorating properties of rosemary not just soothe
inflammation, but also help kill the infection-causing bacteria,
stimulate hair growth and tone skin.
Rosemary Scalp Oil
½ a cup of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of dried hibiscus leaves powder
A handful of fresh rosemary
• Heat oil in low flame, and add in the hibiscus powder and rosemary, shredded into small pieces.
• Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
• Allow the oil to cool in room temperature.
• Transfer the solution into an air-tight container
• Massage the oil onto your scalp like your regular oil, and see a noted difference in hair quality and thickness, after first five times.
Other than its intoxicatingly sweet fragrance, lavender is a powerhouse of antifungal, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties that can clear skin of toxins, soothe acne and reduce blemishes. By far this has got to be one of the best herbs for skin care.
Lavender Acne Mask
1 teaspoon of lavender paste
1 teaspoon of yogurt
1 teaspoon of besan
• Crush lavender into a smooth paste, using water.
• Mix it with besan and yogurt.
• Apply a thin coat evenly through your face and neck.
• Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it clean.
Believe it or not, rose has a high ratio of vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin against free radicals, and it helps lock moisture in the skin, keeping it supple and smooth.
Rose Lip Mask
1 handful of roses
1 tablespoon of milk
5 drops of essential oils of your choice
• Soak rose petals in milk for half an hour and crush them into a smooth paste
• Stir in the essential oils
• Apply a thick coat of the mask onto your lips
• Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash it clean
• Your lips will be supple, plump with a natural pink tint. This is oneof the best herbs for your skin.
Linalool and limonene, present in basil, cleanse the skin of impurities, kill bacteria, shrink pores, stimulate blood flow and boost blood circulation. An ideal herb to grow in your beauty garden is basil.
Basil Anti-ageing Mask
1 egg white
1 teaspoon of basil juice
5 drops of almond oil
• Take an egg white in a bowl, mix in the almond oil and basil juice
• Mix until all the ingredients combine well until it starts to froth
• Apply the mixture evenly through your face and neck, let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse
While most of the herbs in this list are meant to be applied topically, this one herb works from within. It dispels body of toxins, which in turn prevents acne and boils. Simply boil burdock root in water and drink the concoction for a month to see the difference. You can also cleanse your face with the solution to remove impurities.