We love to bask in the glorious sunshine, what we don't like is the toxic chemicals loaded in commercial sunscreen. Hence, making a DIY homemade sunscreen would ideally be the best thing.
Venturing out without the protective layer of the sunscreen means signing up for wrinkles, pigmentation and the worst of all, dull skin!
As much as we consider usage of toxic chemicals, we cannot imagine walking out under the direct glare of the sun without one!
So, what other alternative do we have? We have two words for you, "Homemade sunscreen" that is free of chemicals, is 100% herbal and toxic free!
Before we get down to the DIY homemade sunscreen recipe, you first need to understand why we are so adamantly against the commercially bought sunscreen.
First, it is loaded with chemicals like oxybenzone that disrupts the oestrogen production in the body and increases the risk of cancer.
Retinyl Palmitate, which increases malignant cell production is also one of the components. And the commercial sunscreen also contains synthetic fragrances like parabens and phthalates that are linked to liver and kidney damage.
Secondly, store-brought sunscreens are expensive, enough to put a dent in your pocket.
If this is not reason enough to steer you clear of the toxic-chocked sunscreens, nothing will. Here is a homemade DIY sunscreen that will do the job just as fine and your skin will love it!
The main ingredients in this homemade sunscreen are coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil, vitamin E and lavender oil.
Coconut oil has natural SPF properties, shea butter keeps the skin moisturised and supple. Rich antioxidants present in olive oil restore the skin's elasticity and improve skin tone. Vitamin E, on the other hand, repairs the skin cells and acts as a preservative in the sunscreen.
Lavender oil in the sunscreen gets easily absorbed by the skin, soothes the mind and gives the cream a rich fragrance.
The last ingredient in our homemade sunscreen is nano zinc oxide which further double ups the cream's potential to protect the skin. Higher the zinc oxide in the cream, higher will be the SPF.
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- ½ a cup of shea butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 15 drops of lavender oil
- 1/3rd cup of zinc oxide
How To Make
- In a pan, over low flame, melt coconut oil and shea butter.
- When the ingredients combine well, take the pan off the flame, and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in the zinc oxide and essential oils. Whisk until all the ingredients combine well.
- Pour the solution in an air-tight jar and allow it to solidify in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Use as and when required as your regular sunscreen.
- This homemade DIY sunscreen easily gets absorbed on to the skin, is light in formula, nourishes the skin and acts as a protective film against the UV rays.
If you have any natural sunscreen recipe, do share it with us at the comment section below.