A lot of us have blotchy skin, that is, skin that has irregular patches of different colours. Redness and intense itching can be common symptoms of such a skin problem. It can occur on the face, chest, legs and also arms.
Various skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris and others, besides change in hormones, injury like burns or extreme weather conditions, can lead to the condition of blotchy skin.
Blotchy skin can make one look older and there are a number of home remedies to get rid of this ailment.
Here are 5 home ingredients to treat blotchy skin:
1. Yogurt: Yogurt helps in treating blotchy skin, especially when it is caused by sunburn, thanks to its cooling properties. The lactic acid in yogurt treats the roughness of the skin and removes the dead skins cells. Apply plain yogurt on the blotchy patches of your skin and wash it with lukewarm water. Make a mixture of yogurt and turmeric powder and apply it to the affected area of your skin and after waiting for half an hour, wash it off. Also, consumption of yogurt daily helps you to have a glowing skin.
2. Aloe Vera: A very useful agent to treat blotchy skin, especially if it has been caused by sunburns. Aloe vera's anti-inflammatory properties and moisturizing effect can soothe the skin and restore its colour. Apply aloe vera gel on your affected skin and wash it off after leaving it for half an hour. Do this two to three times daily.
3. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a good skin moisturiser, thanks to the fatty acids in it. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help cure inflammation. Rub warm coconut oil on the blotchy parts of your skin. You can also mix coconut oil with brown sugar and honey and rub it on the affected skin. Do this once or twice in a weak.
4. Oatmeal: This is another simple home remedy to treat blotchy skin, thanks to its moisturizing properties that rehydrate the skin and protect it from dryness. It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that deal with redness. Make a mixture of oatmeal, warm water and honey and apply it on your skin patches. You can also take a bath in water mixed with oatmeal powder and dry yourself.
5. Vitamin E Oil: Vitamin E oil treats blotchy skin in any part of the body. Vitamin E contains antioxidants that can reverse the harm caused to the skin through harsh radiations like UV rays. Vitamin E also moisturises the skin. Mix content of Vitamin E capsules thoroughly with castor oil. Apply the mixture on the affected skin, before going to bed, and wash it off the next morning. Vitamin E is found in almonds, spinach, kale, raw seeds, turnip greens, etc.