We all have those days where we can do with a little more sleep, or have enough time to eat a proper meal, or were not in a rush to dab on that sunscreen. And if only, all this did not show up on our skin! If your skin is dull, tired and lifeless, what you need is a nourishing homemade face mask.
Your skin's elasticity and quality depends on collagen, a protein which holds your skin together. With age, the collagen production dwindles, resulting in skin that is parched, dull and dry.
While your body has a natural ageing process, there are things you do that fast-track the process too.
Also Read: 10 Best Natural Oils For Rough, Dry Skin
For instance, stepping out without a sunscreen, smoking, not drinking enough water, skipping moisturisation, and the worse, stress.
It is not what you apply, but what you eat that brings about a difference. So, before going for any refreshing mask for dull skin, make sure you replenish your system with ample amount of vitamins, minerals and the most important essential - Water.
And for that added radiance, here are 8 hydrating face masks for brighter skin, check them out!
Lactic acid and antioxidants present in buttermilk repair damaged skin cells, remove impurities from deep within and replenish the skin with essential moisture, making it radiant.
- Mix ¼th cup of buttermilk, with 1 tablespoon of besan, and make a thick paste
- Apply a thin coat evenly through your neck and face
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then, rinse it clean
- Follow this home remedy for tired skin once a week
Walnut is a powerhouse of zinc, iron and omega-3 fatty acids, all of which bolster the collagen production of the skin, which in turn improves the skin's elasticity.
- Grind 3 walnuts into a coarse powder
- Add in a teaspoon of yogurt and 5 drops of almond oil
- Apply it evenly through your neck and face
- Let it sit for 20 minutes, and once it dries, spritz your face with water and scrub in a circular motion
- Rinse and pat dry
Orange + Cucumber
Cucumber is a natural coolant that hydrates skin. And orange is a powerhouse of vitamin C, an antioxidant that revives dull skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of ground orange peel powder, with an equal amount of cucumber juice and a teaspoon of honey
- Mix until you get a smooth paste
- Lather it onto your face
- Let it rest for 30 minutes
- Scrub and rinse
- Apply this herbal face mask for dull skin at least twice a week
Banana + Yogurt + Egg
Banana has rutin, a compound similar to vitamin C, which revives dull skin. Lactic acid in yogurt lightens pigmentations and shrinks pores. Proteins in egg boost collagen production, promoting skin regeneration.
- Beat a banana into smooth pulp, and add in a teaspoon of yogurt and one egg white
- Whip it, until you get a thick paste
- Clean your face and apply the pack evenly
- Let the hydrating face mask for tired skin sit for 20 minutes, and then rinse
Aloe Vera + Strawberry
Antioxidants, aloesin and antibacterial properties of aloe vera help flush out the toxins from skin, reduce blemishes and tighten skin. And, alpha-hydroxyl acid present in strawberry sloughs off dead skin cells, making way for new cells.
- Crush a strawberry into a pulp, mix it with a tablespoon of freshly extracted aloe gel
- Apply a thin coat of the paste on to your skin
- Let it sit for 30 minutes, and once you feel your skin stretch, wash it clean
- Repeat this homemade face mask for tired skin, at least twice in a week
Coconut Milk + Saffron
Hydrating properties of coconut milk will nourish the skin from within, whereas antioxidants of saffron will stimulate the blood flow, giving a radiant glow to the skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut milk with a pinch of saffron, heat it for 2 minutes and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Allow the mixture to cool in room temperature
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for it to chill for an hour
- Dip a cotton ball into the chilled refreshing mask for dull skin, squeeze out the excess and generously dab it on to your skin
- Once you feel your skin stretch, wash it clean
The contrasting temperature of the ice instantly refreshes the skin, prevents wrinkles, boosts blood circulation, which in turn improves the complexion. Clean an ice tray thoroughly. Fill it with mineral water, add in a few herbs of your choice for added goodness, and once it's frozen, rub the ice cubes on your skin once a day.
Avocado + Potato Juice + Carrot Juice
Vitamin E in avocado improves skin texture. Calcium, magnesium and vitamin A in potato lighten, brighten and tighten skin tone. And beta-carotene in carrot reduces blemishes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of crushed avocado paste, with 1 tablespoon of carrot juice and 1 tablespoon of potato juice
- Beat until you get a smooth paste
- Apply it evenly on your face and neck
- After 20 minutes, rinse and pat dry
If you have any more tips on how to revive tired skin naturally, do share them at the comment section below.