Touch your hair, is it rough at the end? Is it prone to frizzing out? Do your hair strands break easily? If yes, then you have the dreaded dry and brittle hair condition.
While you may have given up on just about everything when it comes to treating dry hair, we still have one trick up our sleeves that can make a world of difference - honey hair masks for dry hair.
Honey is a natural humectant, which means it can lock in the moisture, making the hair supple, smooth and shiny.
Added to that, honey packs a punch of fructose and glucose, which strengthen the roots, preventing breakage. Honey also contains antibacterial properties, which cleanse the scalp of oil build-up, remove flaky dandruff and restore the pH balance of the scalp.
Now, applying pure honey directly on the scalp is a bad idea. Firstly, it will be messy, and second, the sticky consistency combined with the friction of rubbing on scalp can cause breakage of hair.
What you need to do is combine honey with certain other equally therapeutic ingredients to reap the most out of it.
Which is precisely why we are here! Here is how you can treat dry and brittle hair using honey hair masks, take a look.
Split End Mask
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of egg yolk.
- Beat egg yolk into a frothy consistency, add in the honey and olive oil, and stir well.
- Dampen your hair with water.
- Divide hair into sections, and apply the DIY honey hair mask with clean fingers.
- Tie your hair in a bun and put on a shower cap. Let the mask sit for 3 minutes.
- Rinse your hair clean with a mild shampoo.
Treat Damaged Hair
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil.
- Heat it in low flame for about 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Massage it through your hair length and scalp.
- Let it sit for an hour and then cleanse it with a mild shampoo.
- Take a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of organic honey.
- Using a fork, beat it fast, until all the ingredients blend well.
- Massage it to your scalp and work it through your hair length.
- Let it sit for approximately 30 minutes, before you wash it off.
Silky Hair Mask
- Take 1 ripe banana and beat it into a pulp.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey to the mixture and stir well.
- Dampen your hair, divide it into sections, and using a brush, apply the homemade honey hair mask.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water, and make sure all the lumps are out before using a mild shampoo.
Hair Repairing Mask
- Take 2 egg whites in a bowl, add 5 drops of rosemary oil and a tablespoon of honey.
- Using a fork, stir it fast, until you get a frothy consistency.
- Dampen your hair and then apply the mask.
- Let it sit until your hair starts feeling crunchy.
- Rinse, shampoo, and condition.
- Mash 1 avocado in a bowl, add in 1 tablespoon of honey, 5 drops of almond oil and 5 drops of lemon juice.
- Using a spoon, mix it well. Beat it until you get a fine paste.
- Apply it through your hair and scalp.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes, and later shampoo and condition as usual.
Hair Growth Mask
This is by far the simplest honey mask for dry hair in the list. Here is what you need to do, mix 2 tablespoons of organic honey to your regular shampoo. Shake well before use. Every time you wash your hair, your mane will get the added goodness of honey as well!