With winter, two things come out - soft sweaters and flaky dandruff. Where sweaters keep us warm and cosy, dandruff makes our scalp itchy.
Let's cut to the chase, shall we? If you want to effectively put an end to nasty dandruff, so they never rear their ugly heads again, we suggest you stock up on one ingredient - tea tree oil! It works, every single time.
Teat tree oil contains a compound called terpinen-4-ol that has antibacterial properties. It penetrates into the hair follicles, unclogs pores of dirt and sebum buildup, and kills the microorganisms that trigger dandruff.
It also contains antiseptic properties, which cleanse the scalp, controls excess oil production, restores pH balance and alleviates any itchiness.
Add to all that, tea tree oil mask for dandruff adds shine, bounce and volume to the locks. All this, while promoting scalp condition enough to stimulate hair growth.
Now that you know what exactly tea tree oil can do. Don't go rushing to douse your mane with the oil. Alone, the oil can be very concentrated, so you'll need to dilute it with other carrier oils to balance it out.
To save you the trouble, here 5 DIY tea tree oil hair masks, which show the result!
Tea Tree Oil Spray
- Take a spray bottle, add 1 cup of distilled water.
- Add five drops of tea tree and lavender oils.
- Put the lid on and give the bottle a good shake.
- Spritz thoroughly all over your scalp, and let it get soaked naturally.
- Do it once every day.
Coconut Oil + Tea Tree Oil
- Take a pan, set it in low flame.
- Heat half a cup of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil.
- Let it simmer for a minute or two, and then turn off the heat.
- Massage it to the scalp, focusing on area with dry patches.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, shampoo and condition as usual.
Apple Cider Vinegar + Tea Tree Oil
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Take a cup, add 1/4th cup of apple cider vinegar and 5 drops of tea tree oil.
- Stir it well.
- Give your hair the last rinse with the solution.
- Massage for 5 minutes and then, rinse it out with cold water.
- Repeat twice a week for complete relief from dandruff.
Jojoba Oil + Tea Tree Oil
- Take 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil and add in 5 drops of tea tree oil.
- Massage it to your scalp.
- Keep rubbing your scalp in a circular motion, until the oil penetrates well.
- Let it sit for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Aloe Vera Gel + Tea Tree Oil
- Take 3 tablespoons of freshly extracted aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Add 20 drops of tea tree oil.
- Using a fork, mix it well.
- Apply it to the scalp, and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
If you have any more tips on how to treat dandruff naturally, do share them with us in the comment section below.