Hydrogen peroxide is a medicinal product which has a wide variety of benefits for our health and beauty purposes. Popular across generations, hydrogen peroxide is a mild antiseptic which is used externally to prevent infection.
It is also used to get relieve from minor irritants in the mouth through rinsing. The oxygen in hydrogen peroxide helps in the disinfection process by killing the bacteria.
Hydrogen peroxide, however, should not be used to treat deep injuries or serious burns. This product comes in various forms, but the lower concentration hydrogen peroxide is more beneficial for our beauty and health purposes.
Apart from preventing infection, hydrogen peroxide also has a lot of advantages when used to treat beauty issues.
Here we list 5 of them:
1. Improves Nails: Our nails also often turn yellow after coming in contact with dirt. Hydrogen peroxide does a great job in removing the yellow stains on them and brings back their glow. Mix three to four tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in half cup of water and dip your nails into it for a few minutes. Take a soft toothpaste and rub the nails with it and wash thoroughly. Rub some coconut or olive oil on your nails after using the hydrogen peroxide, as it can dehydrate them.
2. Whitens Teeth: Hydrogen peroxide helps in whitening teeth. Many of the toothpastes that we use also contain hydrogen peroxide. The mild bleaching property of hydrogen peroxide can improve your smile within a few weeks. Mix hydrogen peroxide with lukewarm water in an equal quantity and swish it in your mouth and throw it away. Do this one or two times daily to get the results. Do not swallow it.
3. Cleanse Ears: If you have too much earwax accumulated in your ear, hydrogen peroxide helps in removing it besides the other dirt and dust and gives relief from problems like itching caused by excess earwax. Mix hydrogen peroxide with water and pour a few drops of the solution into your ears one by one. After a few minutes, the earwax will come out and you can wipe it out.
4. Cures Acne: Acne is a common problem and hydrogen peroxide is a great agent to cure it. When you apply the diluted peroxide to the acne, it oxidises the cell walls of the bacteria and thereby kills them. Once the bacteria get neutralised, the acne disappears. It also controls the skin's oil production and reduces the possibility of more acne formation. Clean the affected area of the skin first and use a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide to wash the affected area. Use a moisturiser that doesn't use oil and your skin will be acne-free. For those who have a sensitive skin, it is better not to use hydrogen peroxide.
5. Removes Nail Fungus: The antiseptic properties of hydrogen peroxide help cure fungus that grows on the toenail. It is also handy in curing corns in the foot. Mix hydrogen peroxide with water in an equal amount and spray it on the affected parts of your toes before going to bed. Wash it off the next morning.