Healthy hair has always been considered as one of the true signs of natural beauty among humans. We do everything in our power to maintain lustrous tresses.
However, this holds true only for your crowning glory and not for the unwanted hair that grows on your body and face, especially so for women! It is surely an embarrassing affair to have excess body hair that requires constant work.
Heading to the saloons often and sitting through painful waxing and threading sessions is truly tedious. Excess body or facial hair can be caused by many reasons such as hormonal imbalance, increased levels of androgens (male hormones) in the system and also genetic traits. While there are a number of cosmetic treatments like laser hair removal treatment, they might not be safer options to try, due to the various side-effects.
Also Read: 15 Ways To Get Rid Of Body Hair In 1 Day!
The ancient system of Ayurveda which originated in India, is known to have some effective remedies that decrease the growth of excess body and facial hair, with absolutely no side effects. Certain Ayurvedic ingredients and herbs can be used to lessen this problem. Dietary changes are also advised. Here are some Ayurvedic remedies that can be followed, take a look!
Remedy #1 :
Ingredients : - Turmeric and Black Gram Powder
Turmeric is known to be a natural hair-remover, when mixed with black gram powder, it is more effective. Turmeric also lightens the skin tone.
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric and black gram powder in a
- Make a paste out of this mixture using water or rose
- Apply it evenly onto the face, armpits, legs and any other
desired area and leave it on for about 30
- minutes to an hour.
- Rinse well with warm water.
- Follow this remedy regularly for at least 3 months to see visible effects.
FYI - Black gram powder can also be substituted with curd, for people with dry skin.
Remedy #2 :
Ingredient : - Thanaka Powder
Thanaka Powder is derived from the thanaka tree, commonly found in Myanmar. This powder is also known to be an Ayurvedic hair-remover. In addition, it is also known to whiten the skin tone and render a softer complexion. It also tones the skin and controls excess oil production.
- Mix thanaka powder with water, milk or rose water to form a
- Apply the paste on to the desired area of the body
- Leave it on, until dry.
- Wash the skin with lukewarm water.
Also Read: Ways To Stop Facial Hair Growth
Remedy #3 :
Ingredient :- Kusuma Oil (Safflower Oil)
Very similar to sunflower oil when it comes to its nutrient composition, Kusuma oil has various uses. It can be used as a cooking oil, as a salad dressing and also in herbal cosmetic procedures. Kusuma oil is known to be an ayurvedic remedy for excess body hair. It is also known to have permanent results.
- Remove unwanted hair from the body using preferred methods
(shaving, waxing, hair removal cream, etc)
- Apply some Kusuma oil on to the areas where the hair is
- Leave it on for 3-4 hours or leave it overnight.
- Rinse the skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure, regularly for at least 100 days to see permanent results.
FYI - A thick paste can be made by mixing Thanaka powder and Kusuma oil and the same procedure can be followed for effective results.
Remedy #4 :
Ingredient : - Asoka Gritham (Herbal Ghee)
Asoka Gritham is an Ayurvedic medicine, which is prescribed for conditions such as hormonal imbalance and other gynecological problems in women. This herbal ghee is also known to reduce the growth of excess hair on the body, by regulating the hormones.
- Buy Asoka Gritham that is available in an ayurvedic store or
- Take two spoonful of this herbal ghee.
- It is advised to take it twice in a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Ingredients : - Turmeric and Sandalwood
As mentioned earlier, turmeric comes with natural, body hair reducing properties. Sandalwood is another ingredient that is very popular in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. It has many cosmetic uses that benefit the skin, including its antiseptic nature. In addition, a mixture of sandalwood paste and turmeric powder can also help in keeping unwanted body hair at bay!
- Mix sandalwood powder or sandal paste with turmeric
- You could use rosewater or milk to make it into a fine paste
- Apply this mixture on to the desired area of your
- Leave it on for about an hour or so.
- Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the procedure regularly for a month, without giving a break.
Remedy #6 :
Ayurvedic experts say that regulating our diet can also aid in the decreased production of unwanted body hair. It is recommended to stay away from food items that are sour or spicy, as much as possible to help keep our hormones well-balanced, thereby reducing the body hair production.